Top Ten sayings of Muhammad Ali
For a sportsman, Muhammad Ali certainly had a lot to say. Many of his famous quotes are still used today to inspire new generations of sports fans coming up the ranks.
We all know the way Ali described his winning formula in the boxing ring as being able to ‘float like a butterfly, sting like a bee’, but what else can we learn from the sporting legend in his own words? In no particular order, here are ten of Muhammad Ali’s finest sayings and what we can learn from them, six years after his death.
1. Don’t count the days, make the days count
In other words, seize the day! Don’t wait and wait until it’s too late to do anything about your dream – get on top of it today and make the most of every hour.
2. He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing
Be brave and go for your goals, even if it means taking risks or experiencing tough times. Hard work and a strong heart almost always pay off in the end.
3. Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth.
Ali spent much of his life raising funds for and awareness of charitable causes. In doing so, he showed that, no matter how successful you become, you should always care for those around you and help people out when they are in need.
4. I’m young; I’m handsome; I’m fast. I can’t possibly be beat.
Self-belief is a powerful weapon to have in your personal arsenal. After all, if you don’t believe that you are going to succeed, how can you trust in what you are doing?
5. It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.
Put another way, it’s important to look after the smaller things in life and to fix minor issues as you come across them, before trying to tackle a larger challenge that will require your full focus.
6. A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
Priorities change as you get older and you realise what is truly important. Life teaches us many lessons, and we should use what we have learned to evolve and grow in our thinking and approach.
7. A man who has no imagination has no wings.
Never let yourself become restricted by the status quo – dig deep into your imagination and you will find out what is possible to achieve.
8. Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn’t matter which colour does the hating. It’s just plain wrong.
This simple message of tolerance and love for our fellow human is one that should be preached the world over. There is no room for mindless prejudice in a loving heart.
9. Live every day as if it were your last because someday you’re going to be right.
Don’t leave things too late in the assumption that there will be time to do them later. Life is finite and should be lived to the full.
10. I shook up the world. Me! Whee!
Take joy in your achievements and celebrate your successes. There’s an awful lot to be happy about in the world around us and the unique life you lead.